Acuity Counsel works for:
- Managing and Finance Directors, and other senior executives who face the pressures of running a business but don't have the time to fully understand, assess and deal with the legal risks associated with their operations and transactions.
- In-house lawyers who don't have the time or specialist resources to support every area affecting their business.
- Investors who want the assurance that their investment is protected through effective risk management and need regular compliance and risk reports at Board level.
The typical Acuity Counsel client is dynamic, fast growing and entrepreneurial. We understand that you want lawyers that match your values, embed seamlessly into your teams and are flexible and agile enough to keep up with you on your journey.
Here are some of the clients who make use of the service and examples of the type of advice we regularly give to them.
Portman Healthcare Ltd
We have undertaken acquisition work for Portman Healthcare, one of the UK’s leading independent dental businesses for several years. In addition to that work, Portman came to us with regular employment/HR queries which we recognised would be well serviced by the Acuity Counsel Service the philosophy behind which is to provide focussed and quick commercial advice.
The flexibility of the service means that although clients can access all of our lawyers across all of our departments they can choose to receive advice from just one of our specialist lawyers (e.g. our employment partner).
We have provided a breadth of employment advice to the dental group since they have been on the service including:-
- advising on policies;
- advising on disciplinary investigations;
- advising on consultancy arrangements;
- advising on recruitment, exits and workplace relations.
Progressive Technology Solutions
We principally provide commercial and employment support to Progressive through the Acuity Counsel Service and one of our lawyers has been spending a day a month in London to help implement employment policies so that the owners can get on with managing the business.
We typically provide the following type of advice to Progressive:-
- Advising on high value SaaS agreements, software reseller agreements, software development agreements, software licence agreements;
- Advising on various matters relating to the protection and exploitation of the IP in the software and applications it develops and licences;
- Providing general employment advice and guidance;
- Assisting with property queries.
Wolverhampton City Council
The council uses the service to supplement the existing in-house team of lawyers. They are able to draw on the public sector and procurement expertise of our projects and public sector team together with the expertise of other specialist lawyers in Acuity (e.g. in relation to planning and IP).
Examples of work undertaken for the council include:-
- assisting with trademark registrations;
- providing preliminary advice on state aid and procurement;
- advising on planning issues (e.g. s111 agreements);
- reviewing and drafting grant agreements, framework agreements and other commercial agreements;
- reviewing PFI agreements;
- advising on property issues.
Creditsafe Business Solutions
Creditsafe is one of the leading multinational providers of online company credit risk and business information. It currently has about 90,000 customers across the world and 10 Creditsafe reports are downloaded every second.
Creditsafe has an in-house legal function and so uses the Acuity Counsel service to supplement that team and to assist where specialist advice is required.
Examples of Acuity Counsel work undertaken for Creditsafe includes:-
- Advising on terms and conditions for its various products and services;
- Advising on complex data protection and IP queries;
- Advising on consultancy arrangements;
- Assisting with corporate queries;
- Early stage disputes advice.
Peter’s Food Services
Peter’s Food Services is one of the largest food production employers based in Wales; it boasts a workforce of 850 employees and a turnover of circa £90mn. It manufactures and distributes food products into retail, catering and hospitality and has 10 distribution centres across the UK.
Peter’s make use of lawyers across our disciplines and examples of Acuity Counsel work undertaken for the group includes:-
- drafting and reviewing non-disclosure and exclusivity agreements;
- drafting service agreements and consultancy agreements;
- providing debt recovery advice; drafting distribution, manufacturing and licencing agreements and reviewing licensing terms for its licensed brands business (e.g. with Heinz) and terms and conditions for promotional offers/competitions (e.g. with partners such as the WRU);
- assisting with property queries and dealing with licences (for alterations/parking) and land registry applications;
- providing corporate law assistance (e.g. drafting share buyback documentation).
We have acted for renewable energy company Dulas Limited as a firm for many years. Dulas is an employee-owned business and co-operative which pioneers innovative uses of solar, hydro and wind renewable energy in the UK and across the globe. Dulas were the first client to take up the counsel service and have excellent relationships with lawyers across all of our teams. We have provided bespoke training to Dulas on NEC3 contracts and commercial contracts generally and work closely with their commercial managers and HR team.
Examples of work includes:-
- advising on, drafting and reviewing an extensive variety of commercial agreements and contracts including NEC3 contracts;
- providing employment advice;
- providing corporate law advice and support;
- providing early stage dispute advice.